Monday, November 11, 2013

A Bag for Grandpa

Quilted Messenger Bag

My poor sweet Grandpa has been in the hospital.  I went up to see him and we were chatting and there was this little blue flowery purse on his bed.  I asked him why Grandma had left her purse there when she went home.  He laughed and told me it was his.

No lie.  What?!?  He explained that he had been looking for a bag, that was padded to hold his tablet in so it would be protected in case he dropped it or whatever and he didn't have to hold it.  AND it was on sale for $8.00.  Well, I'm not going lie folks, I let my sick Grandpa have it.  Don't judge me, yet.

Me:  Grandpa!  This is a girls purse!
Grandpa:  But I like it.  It keeps my tablet safe.
Me:  Grandpa!  I can make you one.  A manly one, and for free!
Grandpa:  No, I'll give you some $.
Me:  Nope.  I'd PAY money to see you not wearing a girls purse anymore...thanks.  This is unacceptable!
Grandpa laughed.  We continued to laugh about it for quite some time, everyone who came in got to hear the story....but Grandpa never let go of his 'purse'.



Now, some of you might be thinking, this girl is so rude!  Here is her poor grandpa, sick and she's complaining about his bag?  Let me s'plain.  As quilters, it is our duty, our job if you will, to ensure that our loved ones have items (quilts, bags, potholders etc.) that make them happy...and that they can use in their day to day lives.  Right?

So, I left the hospital for a mission to find my Grandpa some manly fabric, so I could make him a manly bag. I don't know about you guys, but when I go to my LQS, I NEVER see fabric that screams to me, this is manly!  Um, the selection is very sparse-if any.

I knew I wanted the black cross-hatch fabric, but what to go with it?  I went back and forth on the comma print, but they looked good together, and smart!  So I bought them and went home to create.


The next day, I made it..., realized I didn't have a zipper that wasn't hot pink or purple or some other neon offending color.  Thank goodness for JoAnn's and for being so close!  I ran and got a nice lovely grey zipper.

Bag on a tree - it's like Nature's own coat rack

 My favorite part is the little tags for the hardware for the straps.  I love the little peak of commas. 

I took this bag to my Grandpa on Friday.  He loved it.  He tried it out, his tablet fit perfect, he wore it cross body style...my personal mission was complete.  It was even the same size as the original 'purse'!  I totally guessed there folks.  Phewsh.

I've never felt so much joy in giving someone something.  It totally made my day.  As I sat and visited with my G&G, I would look over and he'd be fingering the details and looking it over, back and forth.  And then he never let it go while I was there.

Tears.


It was all I felt I could do.  We have to let the Dr's do their thing, and as I sat there in his hospital room, I felt completely helpless.  But I could do this.  And I know that he will use this and can take it with him to his treatments and he will know how much I love him. Always.

Linking up to:
Quilt Story
Anything Goes Monday


13 comments:

  1. Fabulous! And I love your Grandpa for 'just spending $8!' TOTALLY made my day. You are a good granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice story! You did a great job with the bag! I love it! Hope your grandpa enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the best conversation ever between you & grandpa at the hospital he loved that little flower bag & was proud that it only cost him $8. But he loves that new bag even more awesome job cuz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea. It looks great and was obviously appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bag and even greater story! Sounds like you have the same type of relationship with your grandpa that I have with mine. We're blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet story almost made this pregnant mama cry:) You are a terrific granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely story and very manly bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that you took the time to tell this story! As always, I love your creations and this is no exception. But this story is sad (I'm sorry your grandpa is sick), and hilarious (your grandpa carrying a woman's purse!) and heartwarming (you doing what you can) all at once. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely story! What a wonderful granddaughter you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This bag is amazing and obviously very special to your grandpa. I'm sure he knows how important he is to you, and every time he wears his bag, he'll be reminded of that fact. I'm sad your grandpa is in the hospital, but I'm glad he has someone who loves him enough to get him a manly bag. (And the Comma looks SO posh with the cross hatch. Love your fabric choices.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a sweet granddaughter! Good for you. And wonderful job on the bag, i'm sure he will cherish that for years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet gift! Of course he can't have a flower purse!!! Love! -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a tender story. I love the bag. I'm so impressed that you made it. You could open your own petunia pickle bottom line of goods by now. I hope your Grandpa feels better.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! I reply via email, not in the blog post. If you are looking for a response to anything, let me know! Thank you for stopping by!